Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Happy Fat Day.

I've always wondered about the significance of "Fat Tuesday" in connection with "Ash Wednesday," so yesterday, I looked it up. For all of you curious minds:

Mardi Gras literally means "Fat Tuesday" in French. The name comes from the tradition of slaughtering and feasting upon a fattened calf on the last day of Carnival. The day is also known as Shrove Tuesday (from "to shrive," or hear confessions), Pancake Tuesday and fetter Dienstag. The custom of making pancakes comes from the need to use up fat, eggs and dairy before the fasting and abstinence of Lent begins.

And today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. For all of you Catholics out there- what are YOU giving up? I'm giving up beer* and also trying to send a letter a day the old fashioned way- snail mail! :) We'll see how I do...


*beer will not be consumed for 40 days with one exception: March 14th at the Lower Greenville St. Patrick's Day Parade. I mean, come on. I have to honor my Irish AND Catholic traditions here!

No comments: