Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve

Today is Christmas Eve and it makes me miss my family. Since I moved to Texas I've had to choose going home for either Thanksgiving or Christmas but rarely both. (darn you expensive airfare!)

One of the traditions I miss most during Christmas is my family's annual Christmas Eve Dinner. No, we don't have a fancy homemade spread. No, we don't gather with extended relatives and dine on turkey or ham. No, we don't go to fancy restaurant.

Our family tradition every Christmas Eve is to go eat at Fort Wayne's Famous Coney Island. Yep, a hot dog stand. Well, it's more than a stand. It's a little restaurant full of small-town charm and home to the best Christmas Eve Coney Dog ever.







It's not much to look at, but it's delicious and it's tradition. We've taken many people there with us over the years and everyone enjoys it. We used to get a glass Coke bottle with the Holiday Santa on it every year too, but they stopped selling those (boo).

After dinner we drive around downtown and look at all the big light displays and holiday decorations before making our way home for the night.



It's a great tradition that I certianly miss. What are your Christmas Eve traditions?

No comments: